June 10, 2011

How to Change the Color of Hydrangeas

The blooms of certain varieties of mophead and lacecap hydrangeas can be changed from blue to pink or pink to blue depeding on the pH of your soil. 

I must have acidic soil in my yard because all of my mopheads and lacecaps always bloom blue.  In acidic soil, hydrangeas bloom blue. In alkaline soil, hydrangeas bloom pink.  

If you want your hydrangeas to turn blue, you can add sulfur to your soil. If you want your hydrangeas to turn pink, you can add lime to your soil. Products are available at most garden centers to help you adjust your soil and achieve the color hydrangea you want.

This weekend I bought a bag of garden lime. I applied some to the soil around the hydrangeas today for the first time. I'll apply a little more in a few weeks and I'll post pictures of the results once my hydrangeas bloom.
   
_______________________________________________________________________

Update:  The hydrangeas in my front yard are still blue even after applying lime to the soil.  I think it is because I didn't apply it early enough in the season.  However, the Hydrangea in my backyard has changed to more of light purple, which I'm really happy about.  Hopefully next year they will be pink.  See the pictures below.



No comments:

Post a Comment